Canyon Lake Woman in her 80s Dies of COVID-19
A Canyon Lake woman in her 80s died in a San Antonio hospital on Aug. 3 of COVID-19.
In a statement today, Comal County’s Office of Public Health also confirmed eight other deaths related to COVID-19, and reported 88 new cases of the disease.
Comal County’s positivity rate is now 15.05%, down slightly from Monday’s rate of 15.23%.
The deaths reported to Public Health on Monday are:
- A Canyon Lake woman in her 80s died August 3 in a San Antonio hospital.
- A woman in her 80s and a woman in her 90s who lived at Colonial Manor in New Braunfels both died August 4.
- A New Braunfels woman in her 70s died Thursday in a New Braunfels hospital.
- A woman in her 90s who lived at Sodalis Memory Care in New Braunfels died Thursday.
- A woman in her 80s who lived at Colonial Manor in New Braunfels died Friday.
- A woman in her 80s who lived at Sodalis Memory Care in New Braunfels died Friday.
- A man in his 60s who lived at Sodalis Memory Care in New Braunfels died Saturday.
- A woman in her 80s who lived at Colonial Manor in New Braunfels died Saturday.
Of the 88 new cases, all are confirmed; 67 are New Braunfels-area residents, 12 are from the Bulverde/Spring Branch area, one lives south of Canyon Lake, five live north of Canyon Lake, and three are from the Garden Ridge area. Twenty-one are younger than 30, including an infant under 12 months old; 25 are in their 30s or 40s, 29 are in their 50s or 60s, and 13 are older than 70.
Recoveries and Hospitalizations
Comal County also confirmed eight more recoveries from COVID-19, for a total of 1,877. With 71 deaths, the county now has 526 active confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases. Of them, 71 are hospitalized.
Comal County hospitals reported caring for 19 COVID-19 patients; of those, 10 are in intensive care beds, and eight are on ventilators. Not all of these patients are necessarily county residents; likewise, not all county residents hospitalized with COVID-19 are in Comal County hospitals.
As of Thursday morning, Public Health has received reports of the following test information:
- 16,435 tests conducted
- 1,929 confirmed cases
- 545 probable cases
Of the 2,474 confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases in Comal County, the location breakdown is:
- 1,888 from the New Braunfels area, including eastern and central Comal County
- 346 from western Comal County, including Bulverde and Spring Branch
- 118 from south of Canyon Lake
- 64 from north of Canyon Lake, including Fischer
- 50 from southern Comal County, including Garden Ridge and Schertz
- 8 from Fair Oaks Ranch
Probable Case Definition
“Probable cases” is a category established by the Texas Department of State Health Services to describe those who do not have a positive PCR test for COVID-19, but meet two of the following three criteria:
- A positive quick-result antigen test
- Experiencing COVID-19 symptoms
- Close contact with a confirmed positive COVID-19 case
A probable case is treated identically to a confirmed case and counts toward the county’s positivity rate and total case tally.