Comal ISD Asks Public for Input on Redistricting Proposal at Tuesday’s Board Meeting
A public hearing on Comal ISD’s proposed redistricting map is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday in the boardroom of the district’s Support Services building, 1404 IH 35 North, New Braunfels.
The Texas Education Code requires a school board to redivide SMDs if the population of the most-populous district exceeds the population of the least-populous by more than 10%.
According to ComaISD.org, the district gains approximately 1,000 new students annually and is recognized as one of the fastest-growing districts of its size in Texas.
Comal ISD’s current population is 161,145.
- Comal ISD added 61,981 persons from 2010 to 2020
- The population differential between the most- and least-populated SMDs exceeds 10% (47.6%)
- The most populated SMD changed from SMD 4 in 2010 to SMD 1 in 2020
- The least populated SMD changed from SMD 1 in 2010 to SMD 6 in 2020
The board will take action on its 2022 Redistricting Proposal at its Jan. 12, 2022 regular meeting.
Comal ISD is divided into single-member districts and has a seven-member Board of Trustees. Each trustee on the board is elected separately from the single-member district in which they reside. The board’s primary functions are goal-setting, approving the budget and policymaking.
Since 2009, the district has grown by more than 8,000 students. With its massive area, Comal ISD’s boundaries include almost 30,000 future residential lots. Projections put the district with an enrollment of more than 31,400 students in 2024-25 and more than 38,000 students in the 2029-30 school year.
Other Agenda Items
Also on Tuesday’s action agenda are:
- Third-quarter demographics report
- Active and planned procurement
- Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas Public Hearing (FIRST)
- Transportation update
- Bond 2022
- Second reading of the 2022-23 academic calendar
- Review of November 2021 financial statement and expenditures
- Monthly tax office report
- Budget amendments
- Low-attendance waiver
- Band instrument purchase (donation from Hoffmann Lane Elementary School PTA)
- Chromebooks donated by Rahe Bulverde Elementary School PTA
- School-zone upgrades at Timberwood Park Elementary School
- Network and wireless network equipment including security-camera servers and software and student devices.
- Chromebook purchases for elementary schools.
- 2021 bond sale (consider and possible approval of an order authorizing the issuance, sale and delivery of Comal ISD unlimited tax school building bonds
- Portable building purchase
- Prevailing wage rates of per diem wages for job classifications utilized on construction contracts.
- Instructional materials purchase for K-8 math and K-12 science courses.