Eight New Cases of COVID-19 Reported Monday in Comal County
Comal County added five new and three probable cases of COVID-19 on Monday, but its positivity rate fell slightly, to 15.59 percent from 15.67 percent on Friday.
Of the eight new cases, five are confirmed and three are probable, the county said in a statement. Seven are in New Braunfels-area residents and one is from the Bulverde/Spring Branch area. One is in their 30s and seven are in their 50s or 60s.
Comal County also confirmed three more recoveries from COVID-19, for a total of 2,266. With 80 deaths, the county now has 519 active confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases. Of them, 74 are hospitalized.
On Monday, Comal County hospitals reported caring for 22 COVID-19 patients; of those, nine are in intensive care beds, and six are on ventilators. Not all of these patients are necessarily county residents; likewise, not all county residents hospitalized with COVID-19 are in Comal County hospitals.
- 8,372 tests conducted
- 2,275 confirmed cases
- 590 probable cases
Of the 2,865 confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases in Comal County, the location breakdown is:
- 2,185 from the New Braunfels area, including eastern and central Comal County
- 394 from western Comal County, including Bulverde and Spring Branch
- 134 from south of Canyon Lake
- 79 from north of Canyon Lake, including Fischer
- 65 from southern Comal County, including Garden Ridge and Schertz
- 8 from Fair Oaks Ranch
Residents wishing to be tested for COVID-19 can call the county’s dedicated hotline, 830-221-1120, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Probable case definition
“Probable cases” is a category established by the Texas Department of State Health Services to describe those who do not have a positive PCR test for COVID-19, but meet two of the following three criteria:
- A positive quick-result antigen test
- Experiencing COVID-19 symptoms
- Close contact with a confirmed positive COVID-19 case
A probable case is treated identically to a confirmed case and counts toward the county’s positivity rate and total case tally.