Naegelin’s Bakery Sesquicentennial
The oldest bakery in Texas celebrates 150 years of continuous operation.
Performances by Zack Walther Band and Devon Brandalick, on the accordion.
Naegelin’s Bakery was founded by Edouard Naegelin Sr., who arrived in New Braunfels back in 1868 with a sack of flour and less than a dollar cash in his pocket.
His first bakery in New Braunfels was in the Goldebagen building located at the site of the present City Hall. In 1870, he moved to the present site, on South Seguin Ave, and bought the property in 1874.
Assisted by his wife, Francisca Seekatz Naegelin and their children, he operated the bakery until his death in 1923. For a time his daughter Leonie, and son Edward Jr. continued operation of the business. Edward Naegelin and his wife Laura took over management on January 1, 1924 and remodelled the building in 1935. Their son, Clinton, owned and operated the bakery prior to its sale to the Granzin family in 1980.