Ferdinand Lindheimer House
In 1845 Lindheimer settled on 2½ acres on the Comal River at the invitation of Carl Prince Solms-Braunfels.
The half-timbered house is one of the oldest remaining structures in New Braunfels. He collected a bounty of plant specimens that would make him famous.
Lindheimer was highly regarded in this German community, and in 1852 he was unanimously elected the first editor of the Neu Braunfelser Zeitung. In addition to his work as editor, his knowledge of political affairs allowed him to assume many public duties. He conducted a free private school for gifted students, served as Superintendent of Public Instruction in Comal County for several terms and was the first Justice of the Peace.
491 Comal Avenue
New Braunfels, Texas 78130