Heights of Bulverde Resident Dies of COVID-19, Comal County Reports 49 New Cases
A man in his 90s who lived at the Heights of Bulverde died in a San Antonio hospital of COVID-19 on Wednesday, the 44th death in Comal County so far and the ninth death of a resident at that facility since the pandemic began.
In a statement, the county also reported 49 new cases of the virus today, bringing the total number of people confirmed with COVID-19 to 1,880.
Forty-five of the new cases are confirmed and four are probable; 41 are New Braunfels-area residents, five are from the Bulverde/Spring Branch area, two live north of Canyon Lake, and one lives south of Canyon Lake. Fifteen are younger than 30, 19 are in their 30s or 40s, 12 are in their 50s or 60s, and three are older than 70.
Comal County’s positivity rate now stands at 18.51 percent, up from 18.32 percent on Thursday and 17 percent from one week ago.
Comal County hospitals also reported caring for 45 COVID-19 patients; of those, 19 are in intensive care beds, and 15 are on ventilators. Not all of these patients are necessarily county residents; likewise, not all county residents hospitalized with COVID-19 are in Comal County hospitals.
The county also confirmed 58 more recoveries from COVID-19, for a total of 829. With 44 deaths, the county now has 1,007 active confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases, a decline of 10 from Tuesday and the third consecutive day of decline in active cases. Of them, 77 are hospitalized, an increase of one.
- 10,154 tests conducted
- 1,460 confirmed cases
- 420 probable cases
- 1,410 from the New Braunfels area, including eastern and central Comal County
- 284 from western Comal County, including Bulverde and Spring Branch
- 98 from south of Canyon Lake
- 42 from north of Canyon Lake, including Fischer
- 39 from southern Comal County, including Garden Ridge and Schertz
- 7 from Fair Oaks Ranch
Long-Term Residential Care Facilities
The county’s long-term residential care facilities reported these active COVID-19 cases to Comal County’s Office of Public Health:
- Colonial Manor, New Braunfels: 37 cases (21 residents, 16 staff); 6 deaths
- Heights of Bulverde: 21 cases (16 residents, 5 staff); 1 hospitalized; 9 deaths
- Kirkwood Manor, New Braunfels: 20 cases (16 residents, 4 staff); 5 hospitalized; 11 deaths
- Sodalis Senior Living, New Braunfels: 15 cases (residents); 1 death
- River Gardens, New Braunfels: 6 cases (3 residents, 3 staff); 1 death
- Memory Care, New Braunfels: 6 cases (staff)
- EdenHill, New Braunfels: 3 cases (staff)
- Gruene Senior Living, New Braunfels: 2 cases (1 resident, 1 staff)
- Elan Westpointe, New Braunfels: 2 cases (1 resident, 1 staff); 1 hospitalized
- Village of Garden Ridge: 2 cases (staff)
- Sodalis Senior Living, Garden Ridge: 1 case (staff)
- Legend Oaks, New Braunfels: 0 active cases, 1 death
Case numbers from Sodalis Senior Living in New Braunfels may reflect non-county residents because that facility is accepting COVID-19 patients from other Sodalis facilities outside the county, Comal County said in its press release. The number of deaths reflects only Comal County residents.