MVMS Awarded ‘Golden Apple’ by PTA
One hundred percent of all Mountain Valley Middle School (MVMS) teachers and staff signed up for the PTA this year, earning the school a Golden Apple award.
Principal Dustin Davisson accepted the honor on behalf of his staff Wednesday from Jo Anne Johnson, vice president of membership for MVMS’ PTA.
“We have an amazing PTA that helps us do a lot of different things,” he said. “By joining the PTA, our teachers and staff are able to invest in the students and ensure they are successful in all areas.”
Examples of how MVMS’ PTA supports the school include
- Running school dances. “They’re very important to students’ development, but you can’t really take care of that inside the school day.”
- Promoting MVMS in the business community. “They let them know, ‘hey, we’re doing good things at MVMS. It’s a good place to invest in’.”
- Providing Community Outreach. PTA provide a parent-student screening of “Screenagers”, which documented the science behind too much screen-time.
- Provides Teacher Scholarships for projects in the classroom.
- Provides snacks and treats to teachers to improve teacher morale.
- Provided picnic tables to be used as outdoor classrooms
Davisson said many of his students choose to stay in Canyon Lake after graduating high school and college.
“When you invest in the kids, you’re investing in the future of the Canyon Lake area.”
As per order of Comal ISD Supt. Dr. Andrew Kim, teachers and staff at any Comal ISD campus awarded a Golden Apple receive special dispensation to wear jeans throughout the month of January.
That’s a lot of denim for Canyon Lake. Canyon Lake High School, Mountain Valley Elementary, Rebecca Creek Elementary and Startzville Elementary also picked up Golden Apples this week.
“That’s not very common in a lot of school districts,” Davisson said.