Sattler ‘Teacherage’ Recognized as Landmark
A “teacherage” built in 1870 at the confluence of the Guadalupe River and Jacobs Creek in Sattler was recognized as a Texas Historic Landmark at a marker dedication on Sunday.
The ceremony was sponsored by property owner Bess Story, Comal County Historical Commission, and the Texas Historical Commission.
Teacherages were dwellings either attached to a school or located nearby where school teachers and their families could live.
The two-room log cabin, located at 12794 River Road, is made of hand-hewn and notched ashe juniper using fachwerk construction. It’s believed to have been constructed by teacher Carl Pantermuehl. Its parlor has a loft and a back room used for sleeping and storage.
According to local historian and fifth-generation New Braunfelser Myra Lee Goff, Jacobs Creek School was founded by Oskar and Augusta Friedrich, Germans who immigrated to the United States in the 1800s. They purchased a 1,695-acre ranch near Sattler named “Friedrichstahl” or Friedrich’s Valley.
In 1867, the Friedrichs donated land for Jacobs Creek School and teacherage. Trustees leased the land for $1. Other ranchers were granted permission to cross the property so their children could attend school. They followed up by offering access to their properties by others. The Guadalupe River Road, once a narrow, rocky trail straddling both sides of the river, is often credited to Friedrich.
Daughter Agnes married Carl Pantermuehl, born in 1838 in Germany. His family relocated to Rebecca Creek after the death of his mother. Sons Joachim Jr., Friedrich, Wilhelm, Carl and Christian Pantrmuehl all became prominent Sattler citizens. Carl and Agnes’ three children, Alfred, Julius and Louisa, were born and raised in the teacherage.
Valeska Pantermuehl grew up in the teacherage and in a Reflections program at the Sophienburg Museum in New Braunfels, remembers it taking all day and opening and closing up to 14 ranch gates to go to New Braunfels and back on River Road. She died in 1986 and is buried in Mountain Valley Cemetery.
In 1978, architect Robert Story and wife Bess purchased the teacherage and restored it for use as their residence.
Leave a Comment