Comal County ordered all flags lowered to half-staff this afternoon in honor and memory of 12 seniors citizens — members of First Baptist Church of New Braunfels — killed in a bus crash near Garner State Park yesterday.
They were returning from a retreat when a white pick up truck slammed into their bus.
County Judge Sherman Krause signed an order at 3 p.m. directing the lowering of the flags until sundown Monday.
“Our hearts go out to our friends and neighbors affected by this tragedy,” Krause said. “First Baptist Church and its members are in our thoughts and prayers.”
The order also encourages other local political subdivisions and property owners to join the county in lowering flags to honor and remember the victims.
Killed in the accident were
- Murray William Barrett, 67, of New Braunfels
- Howard Bryan Allen, 81, of New Braunfels
- Rhonda Barlow Allen, 61, of New Braunfels
- Harold Boyd Barber, 87, of New Braunfels
- Margaret Robinson Barber, 82, of New Braunfels
- Cristie Clare Moore, 68, of Cibolo, Texas
- Donna Elizabeth Hawkins, 69, of Schertz, Texas
- Avis Scholl Banks, 83, of Austin, Texas
- Mildred Goodlett Rosamond, 87, of New Braunfels
- Addie Maurine Schmeltekopf, 84, of New Braunfels
- Sue Wynn Tysdal, 76, of New Braunfels
- Martha Holcomb Walker, 84, of New Braunfels
- Dorothy Fern Vulliet, 84, of New Braunfels