USACE’s Boat Ramps, Trails and Day Parks Reopen for Business
Canyon Lake boat ramps operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) reopened today just hours after the Corps announced it would begin a phased reopening of the recreation areas it closed due to COVID-19.
USACE operates boat ramps #3, 4, 10, 17, 18, 20 and 21.
All day parks and trails — including Overlook Park and the Canyon Lake Dam walkway — will reopen on Thursday, May 7 as part of USACE’s Phase 1 plan.
Ranger Samuell Price said USACE will reopen its main office for guest access after it puts up safety barriers. However, a date has yet to be set for Phase II or for Phase III, which will reopen campgrounds.
In a press release, USACE said playgrounds and group shelter areas also will remain closed. Campground reservations can be made online, and recreationalists are urged to check www.recreation.gov as reservations may become available prior to June 1.
- Many USACE sponsored events, tournaments, volunteer activities and public meetings remain cancelled until further notice.
- Visitor centers and lake offices remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Group shelters, pavilions, courts, and playgrounds are not available until further notice.
- Shoreline management activities including one-on-one contacts that require USACE personnel to make a site visit or inspection may proceed consistent with social distancing guidelines established by CDC, DOD, state and local direction.
- Restroom facilities are cleaned on a scheduled basis, but cannot be considered as sanitized with respect to COVID-19.
Social distancing and other restrictions required by local, state and federal authorities — including the Centers for Disease Control — will be in place for these facilities. USACE said it could be forced to close its recreation areas again if guidelines and restrictions are not obeyed.
“The health of our team and the community is our top priority,” said Col. Kenneth N. Reed, USACE Fort Worth District commander. “Protecting our team includes mitigating the spread of the virus and ensuring personnel have the most up-to-date information on appropriate measures to prevent potential spread of COVID-19.”
Visitors are encouraged to visit the Fort Worth District webpage www.swf.usace.army.mil for the latest information, or call the local lake office (https://www.swf.usace.army.mil/About/Lakes-and-Recreation-Information/) for current conditions before traveling to the lake. A complete list of USACE recreation areas with contact information is available at www.CorpsLakes.us.