Heritage Muserum of the Texas Hill Country will provide all the tools kids need to carve jack o lanterns for Halloween. No extra charge for the dinosaur prints. Facebook image courtesy of the museum.
Canyon Lake is rocky, hilly, divided by a lake, spread out and (so far) lacking cookie-cutter subdivisions that make it easy for trick-or-treaters to score bucketfuls of candy on Halloween.
However that same terrain creates unique opportunities for ghouls, goblins, guardians and anyone else looking for fun places to haunt in late October.
Check them out or enjoy more-traditional holiday adventures and fall festivals:
- Goblins in the Gorge – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 28 at Canyon Lake Gorge, 16029 S. Access Rd. Canyon Lake. Includes haunted hiking trails and scare zones, scavenger hunt, brown-bag decorating, pumpkin bowling, festive family photos, giveaways, Halloween movie and more. $5 per person, admission free to children under 12. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Last entry at 4:30 p.m.
- Trick-or-Treat & Pumpkin Carving – 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22 at The Heritage Museum of the Texas Hill Country, 4831 FM 2673, Canyon Lake. Includes food truck. Goblins can also enjoy over 350 dinosaur footprints and multiple trackways under a covered pavilion that provides protection from erosion. Free but $10 per person for pumpkin carving, all tools provided. Lots of activities for kids. For more information call 830-899-4542 or email email@example.com.
- Sattler Halloween – 5-7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 31 along FM 2673 in Sattler/Canyon Lake. What hills? Canyon Lake-area businesses and organizations aren’t going to let a little geography get in the way of a very Happy Halloween for children. Law enforcement will close the main drag so kids can trick-or-treat from dozens of tents and “trunks” set up in parking lots and driveways along the very flat main business district. This is Canyon Lake’s signature Halloween event – expect crowds. Free.
- Fall Festival & Country Bazaar – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29 at St. Andrew Lutheran Church, 7420 FM 2673, Canyon Lake. Halloween costume contest for youth and adults at 11 a.m., Fire on the Mountain Cloggers at noon. Raffle tickets are available. Benefits area charities. For more information call 830-899-2273 or visit standrewofcl.org.
- Trick or Treat – 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29 at Canyon Lake Smiles, 8565 FM 2673, Canyon Lake. Includse trick-or-treating, snacks, games and face painting. For more information call 830-264-8500.
- Happy Halloween! – 5 to 8 p.m. Monday, Oct. 31 at VFW Post 8573, 14625 River Rd., Canyon Lake. Kids are invited to stop by the flagpole at the Sattler VFW and collect treats.
- Trunk or Treat – 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29 at North Shore United Methodist Church, 23880 N. Cranes Mill Rd., Canyon Lake. Car decorating contest, candy and community event.
- The Haunting – 6 p..m. to midnight. Friday, Oct. 28, 6 p.m. to midnight Saturday, Oct. 29, 6-10 p.m. Sunday, Oct.30 and 6-10 p.m. Monday, Oct. 31 at Startzville VFW Post 8800, 7755 FM 2673, Canyon Lake. Haunted maze. Benefits the VFW. For more information email the firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4th Annual Halloween Costume Party — 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29 at the Dam Red Barn, 16520 S. Access Rd., Canyon Lake.