Contaminated Jif Peanut Butter Sickens Comal Resident
Comal County’s Public Health Department reported one case of Salmonella Senftenberg food poisoning in a resident who consumed contaminated Jif peanut butter.
On May 20, J.M. Smucker Company announced a recall of its Jif peanut butter after an investigation revealed 14 Salmonella cases were reported in 12 states. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the case count is probably higher.
Public Health said concerned residents should check the lot code on jars of Jif peanut butter. If the first four digits are between 1274 and 2140, and if the next three numbers after that are 425, the peanut butter should be discarded.
Salmonella is an organism that causes severe and sometimes fatal infections in young children, older adults and others with weakened immune systems.
Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, the health department said. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses.
Residents who consumed JIF peanut butter and are showing symptoms are urged to contact their healthcare providers.
For more information about additional measures visit https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-foodborne-illness/outbreak-investigation-salmonella-peanut-butter-may-2022.
The J.M. Smucker Company’s Salmonella hotline is: 800-828-9980
The U.S. Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the CC and local partners are investigating the multistate outbreak.
Thanks to Mycanyonlake.com. I finally checked my JIF Extra Crunchy and sure enough it was one identified.