Type to search

Local News USACE

Drift Over to USACE’s Overlook Park Office in Canyon Lake for Driftwood Permit

Free driftwood is available at Potters Creek but you'll need a permit to bring it out of the park. Image courtesy of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Drift over to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ (USACE) Canyon Lake office in Overlook Park 9 a.m. Monday if you’d like a permit to pick up some driftwood for crafts or to burn at home.

Ranger Samuell Price said Potters Creek is full of driftwood leftover from the 2015 flood. USACE will issue permits on a first-come, first-served basis. The number of permits is limited.

Collection is limited to a two-week period on weekdays only.

“Everyone that gets a permit will only be allowed to collect one large piece of wood, but you may pick up as much of the smaller wood that can be carried by hand,” he said. “The field and drainage ditch are full of small pieces you may use to burn at home or do projects with.”

The only caveat? It’s snake season. USACE is not to blame for snake bites or bug bites. Gloves, tools and trailer are recommended.

“We also have a few pieces in Cranes Mill by Ramp 10 and behind the closed gate of the old beach,” he said “You may choose where to collect your piece.”

For more information, contact USACE’s Canyon Lake office at 830-964-3341.

Please review our commenting rules before submitting a post.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *