The U.S. National Weather Service Austin-San Antonio today issued a Red Flag Warning for wind and low relative humidity from 1-9 p.m. Monday.
Winds will be from the east at 10-15 mph with gusts up to 20 mph. Relative humidity will be as low as 18-30%.
Any fires that develop can spread rapidly and exhibit high resistance to control. Outdoor activities that could produce flames or sparks are discouraged.
A Red Flag Warning means critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now or will be shortly. A combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.
Texas A&M Forest Service said a very high volume of wildfire activity is expected to continue for a broad area of Texas due to extremely dry vegetation, intense heat and dry conditions.
High-risk juniper/oak will support a moderate risk for a significant fire along and west of I-35 through Monday for the Cross Timbers, eastern/western Hill Country and Rolling Plains areas with elevated fire weather over extremely dry vegetation.
Oak/juniper fuel will support active crown fire in these regions.
Saturday, the forest service responded to 16 new requests for assistance on wildfires that burned 256 acres,
A Fuels and Fire Behavior Advisory remains in effect.
- Rocky J Fire, Coryell County – 125 acres, 50% contained
- Windmill Fire, Erath County – 1 acre, 70% contained
- Little Crevassa Fire, Erath County – 17.3 acres, 50% contained
- Cell Tower Fire, Somervell County – 10 acres, 50% contained
- Hill Top Fire, Taylor County – 200 acres, 60% contained
Contained Wildfires (100%):
- Anderson 3343 Fire, Anderson County – 0.5 acre
- Leon 3354 Fire, Leon County – 3 acres
- Limestone 3357 Fire, Limestone County – 13 acres
- Nacogdoches 3365 Fire, Nacogdoches County – 1 acre
- Cass 3336 Fire, Cass County – 0.5 acre
- Titus 3341 Fire, Titus County – 1 acre
- Leon 3346 Fire, Leon County – 7.4 acres
- Upshur 3366 Fire, Upshur County – 0.3 acre
- Newton 3340 Fire, Newton County – 1.5 acres
- Grimes Well Fire, Fannin County – 20 acres
- Rock Pit Fire, McLennan County – 12 acres
- Cottle 3353 Fire, Cottle County – 42.6 acres
- Electric Slide Fire, Brooks County – 1,456 acres
- Skull Creek Fire, Colorado County – 78.5 acres
- By Pass Fire, Aransas County – 20 acres
- Noelke 3 Fire, Crockett County – 2,766 acres