Tye Preston Memorial Library’s (TPML) Summer Reading Program runs from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, June 3.
Kids of all ages — including white-haired ones — are invited to bring a towel and enjoy a foam party, bounce house, music and much more at the library, 16311 S. Access Rd., Canyon Lake.
Come for the fun and free book bag, but stay for a chance to pick up a reading log to use to keep track of books and magazines read through Aug. 5. Reading is recorded in 30-minute increments. “Reading” also includes magazines and audiobooks.
Participants can enter to win monthly prize drawings on June 30, July 31, and a grand prize Aug. 7.
This year’s grand prize is an Apple iPad.
No library card is needed. Reading logs are kept on an honor basis.
Besey Leitko, TPML’s Youth Services Librarian, said she hopes the summer reading program will encourage people to remember to read.
“It gets busy in the summer, people forget to slow down and take some time to read,” she said. “Everyone’s excited about the party. It’s a reminder to people that the library’s here and everything’s free, and everyone is always looking for something to do, especially in the summer.
Also included in TPML’s summer of fun are events for:
- Perler Bead Bees, 10 a.m. June 10
- Family Fun: Mr. Pitts Cartooning Class, 10 a.m. June 24
- Family Fun Bridges & Boats, 10 a.m. July 1
- Family Fun: Scavenger Hunt, 10 .m. July 8
- family Fun: LEGO Club, 10 a.m. July 15
- Aztec Family Dancers, 3 p.m. July 21
- Family Fun: Canyon Lake Fire Department, 10 a.m. July 22
- Family Fun: Paper Spinners, 10 a.m. July 29
- National Museum of the Pacific War, 10 a.m. July 29
- Family Storytime (toddlers-8-year-olds), 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday through June and July
- Story Tails with Lucy the poodle, June 8, 15, 22 and 29, times vary. July tbd.
- Austin Reptile Show, 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. June 7
- Lego Club for ages 5-12, 4:30 p.m. June 8, July 6
- Daniel G. Benes Science Show, 10 a.m. June 14
- Karate Dance Party for ages 5-12, 10 a.m. June 21
- Cowboy Ken, 10 a.m. June 28
- Bumblebee Take & Make, July 5
- Magic Show with John O’Bryant, 10 a.m. July 12
- BK Bones: Meat Eating Dinosaurs, 10 a.m. July 19
- Playtime at the Library, 10 a.m. June 29, July 20
- The Astonishing Mr. Pitts! 10 a.m. July 26
- Teen Tuesdays, 5-7 p.m.
- Scavenger Trail for ages 13-17, 2 p.m. June 8
- Escape Room for ages 13-17, 2 p.m. June 15 (registration required)
- Waffles & Whipped Cream Party, 2 p.m. June 22
- Teen & Tween Tie Dye, 2 p.m. June 29
- Introduction to Microcontrollers for ages 13-17, 2 p.m. July 6 (registration required)
- Catapult Target Practice for ages 13-17, 2 p.m. July 13 (registration required)
- Laser Tag, 2 p.m. July 20 (registration required)
- Duct Tape Craft for ages 13-17, 2 p.m. July 27
- Rain Bees Harvesting Consultants, Noon, June 6
- Creative Glass Recycling Fundamentals, 2 p.m. June 10
- Movie Day for Adults – Love Simon, 5:30 p.m. June 12
- Lunch & Learn – Dinosaur Talk, Noon, June 27
- Lunch & Learn – Healthy Body, Noon, June 20
- Rock the Library – Chris Beall, 6 p.m. July 7
- Gentle Pilates with Kaitlyn Burley, 3 p.m. June 7, 21 and 28 and July 5, 12, 19 and 26
- Movie Day for Adults – In the Heights, 5:30 p.m. June 26
- Lunch & Learn – Canyon Lake Gorge, Noon July 11
- Lunch & Learn – Cooking with Hannah, Noon July 12
This summer’s sponsors include Maven’s Inn & Grill, Texas Mead Works, Stars & Stripes Drivie-In Theatre, Sip n Putt, Urban Air Trampoline Park, Grayla’s Homemade Ices, and Blue Lotus Winery.
For information, visit tpml.org.